Although every woman experiences them differently, at least 80% of women experience menstrual cramps. For some, the menstrual cramps, which are medically known as dysmenorrhea, can be very intense, or even debilitating. For others, cramps are described as a dull and throbbing pain in the lower abdominal area that maybe annoying or distracting.
Ladies, the great news is that using natural, often ancient knowledge and remedies, we can support our reproductive systems to work more efficiently and effectively. We have the ability to take control of the factors that influence how our body and uterus work. So next time you feel like popping a pain killer and lying in bed, consider how you can work with your body and support your cycle. Here’s what I’ve learned about different menstrual imbalances and how to prevent and treat them.
The two types of menstrual imbalances, and their prevention:
Yin menstrual imbalances:
Characterized by dull, achy cramps, exhaustion.
Prevention: Dress warmly, and make sure your feet are warm and dry. Avoid refined sugar, fruit and raw vegetables. Eat more protein, grains and beans. Alternate hot and cold footbaths to improve circulation at the onset of menstrual cycle.
Yang menstrual imbalances:
Characterized by restlessness, thirst, swollen or painful breasts, and sharp cramps with abdominal pain. Pain is worse with heat and touch.
Prevention: Eat more vegetables, fruit, raw food, and whole grains and less animal protein. Be sure you’re getting adequate calcium and magnesium.
A yoni steam (aka. vaginal steam, v-steam, bajo or chai-yok) provides gentle and effective support for women’s wellness. Respected by women and holistic healers around the globe, yoni steaming is the ancient practice of allowing the warmth of herbal steam to softly permeate the exterior of the vagina.
This women’s treatment gently and effectively cleanses, tones and revitalizes your center, providing you with numeral benefits from reduced menstrual cramps to increased fertility and more. Yoni steaming will support your natural feminine cycle, and help you to heal, relax, and detoxify both physically and emotionally. Treat yourself to this delightful self-care ritual in the comfort of your own home!
General Regime for the Care of the Female Reproductive System
1. Drink at least 3 cups of Vibrant Souls Women’s Reproductive Support tea every day throughout the month, and especially in the 10 days before your menstrual cycle begins. This tea is specially formulated to prevent menstrual cramps, tone the system, and relieve uterine congestion.
Ingredients: Dong Quai, Nettle, Oatstraw, Raspberry Leaf, Horsetail, Licorice, and Rose Petals.
2. Increase your calcium and magnesium intake 10 days prior to your period, and work to alkalize your system. Take the recommended dose of a high-quality calcium/magnesium supplement and eat more seaweed, sesame seeds, nuts, avocado, coconut, and leafy green vegetables.
3. Do a yoni steam using Vibrant Souls Devi Steam approximately 7 days before your menstruation begins, and another within the next couple of days (2 in the week before your period begins). Yoni steaming will help your uterus to tone and clean itself so that it will not have to work as hard to release the material at the time of menstruation. The result is reduced pain and reduced flow!
4. Go outside and play! Studies show that exercising 3 – 4 times per week, and getting enough Vitamin D (which comes from the Sun!) can help reduce menstrual cramps.
5. If you do experience cramping when your menstruation begins, try the following:
- Don’t eat anything cold, as cold foods can exacerbate cramps.
- Drink a . cup of Vibrant Souls Women’s Cramp Relief every 15 minutes until cramps subside. Be sure to steep the tea for 30 minutes before drinking in order to draw the properties out of the cramp bark.
- Make a Ginger Poultice. Grate fresh ginger and pour . cup hot water over it. Place the ginger mixture on a cotton cloth and fold it several times. Place the pack directly over your womb area (the space in the soft crevice above and between your pelvic bones). Cover the poultice with a towel and then place a hot water bottle or heating pad over the pack. Lie down comfortably with your eyes closed and relax for 20-30 minutes. Sip your Women’s Cramp Relief Tea!
6. Drink water, rest, and remember that you are beautiful and perfect!