This March and April, the French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF), New York’s premiere French cultural center, celebrates electronic dance music from France with EDM Anthems: French Touch on Film. The new CinéSalon film series will be accompanied by events with leading artists of French Touch, including a master class, a panel discussion, and a rooftop dance party. EDM Anthems: French Touch on Film is presented in partnership with UniFrance, the Cultural Services of the French Embassy, Bureau Export/France Rocks, and French Move.
Since the mid-1990s, a group of French DJs and producers have revolutionized dance music with their distinct mix of disco samples and robotic vocals. Known as the French Touch, musicians associated with this movement—including Daft Punk, Kavinsky, and Air—have also put their mark on contemporary cinema. Presenting a series of films scored by and about DJs, EDM Anthems: French Touch on Film explores how French Touch has extended beyond the dance floors to transform the look and feel of cinema itself. Each screening will feature an episode of French Waves, the web series about French Touch music and its artists.
EDM Anthems: French Touch on Film kicks off on Tuesday, March 1 with the New York theatrical premiere of the 2015 documentary Daft Punk Unchained, the story of the masked French duo that would indelibly change dance music.
FIAF and French Waves welcome DJ and former Daft Punk manager Pedro Winter (Busy P) on Thursday, March 3 for a French Touch Master Class, where he will be joined by DJs Boston Bun, Superpoze, rising star Jacques, and French Waves director Julian Starke for live demonstrations. Rooftop bar and discothèque Le Bain celebrates French Touch with a Dance Party featuring DJs Busy P., Boston Bun, Superpoze, and Jacques onFriday, March 4. And as part of Rendez-Vous with French Cinema, the Film Society of Lincoln Center will host a talk with French Touch Composers Grégoire Hetzel, Mathieu Lamboley, and Mark Snow, composers, respectively, of Summertime, Lolo, and The X Files, on Monday, March 7, moderated by Variety’s Elsa Keslassy.
- French Touch Master Class with DJ Pedro Winter (Busy P), Thursday, March 3 at 7:30pm at FIAF
- Dance Party with Busy P, Boston Bun, Jacques, and Soperpoze, Friday, March 4 10pm-4am at Le Bain
- Talk with French Touch Composers: Grégoire Hetzel, Mathieu Lamboley, and Mark Snow,Monday, March 7 at 7:30pm at Elinor Bunin Monroe Film Center
- Daft Punk Unchained, dir. Hervé Martin-Delpierre, Tuesday, March 1 at 4 & 7:30pm. Free with RSVP! Q&A with Director Hervé-Martin Delpierre and DJ Superpoze after 7:30pm screening.
- Grand Central, dir. Rebecca Zlotowski, Tuesday, March 8 at 4 & 7:30pm.
- You and the Night, dir. Yann Gonzales, Tuesday, March 15 at 4 7:30pm.
- Eden, dir. Mia Hansen-Løve, Tuesday, March 22 at 4 & 7:30pm.
- Love at First Fight, dir. Thomas Cailley, Tuesday, March 29 at 4 & 7:30pm.
- The Virgin Suicides, dir. Sofia Coppola & Trip to the Moon, dir. Georges Méliès, Tuesday, April 12 at 4 & 7:30pm.
- Drive, dir. Nicolas Winding Refn, Tuesday, April 19 at 4 & 7:30pm.
- Girlhood, dir. Céline Sciamma, Tuesday, April 26 at 4 & 7:30pm.