They greet you when you get home, keep you company on a lazy Sunday. Your pets are part of the family, and Americans are spoiling them with holiday gifts this year, according to the American Express Spending & Saving Tracker.
Here are the highlights on pet spending this season:
Fido’s gift: 65% of pet owners plan to purchase a holiday gift for their pet, and they’ll spend an average of $100 on each pet (vs. $178 in 2013).
Most Popular pet gifts:
- Treats (66% vs. 63% in 2013)
- Toys (59% vs 77% in 2013)
- Pet’s own holiday stocking (34% vs. 38% in 2013)
- Accessories like collar/leash (27% vs. 39% in 2013)
- Clothing (18% vs. 23% in 2013)