What’s in the forecast for this summer? Rain Rain Rain. Invest now in cute jellies, rain boots and small umbrella. Wear your hair in braids, buns or FIGHT the FRIZZ!!
With warmer temperatures right around the corner, Kattia Solano (owner of renowned Butterfly Studio Salon in NYC) is sharing her best tips for combatting humidity, frizz and sun damage which can wreak havoc on your hair.
- With over 20 years of experience, Kattia is one of the hottest celebrity hairstylists in NYC and a Fashion Week favorite, creating runway looks for iconic designers including Oscar de la Renta, Ralph Lauren, and Carolina Herrera.
Taming Your Mane: Fighting Frizz from the Inside Out
– Unfortunately, heat from some of our best styling tools can cause the worst damage over time and this combined with the sun’s heat can really take a toll on tresses. Kattia suggests stepping back from tools and improving the overall texture of hair first.
– Her new favorite solution — Cezanne Perfect Finish, a 100% formaldehyde-free keratin smoothing treatment that infuses and locks key ingredients (e.g., sericin, a silk protein) into the inner hair shaft, thereby replacing lost and damaged protein mass and leaving hair stronger and impervious to frizz.
o Unlike other treatments, the Cezanne system softens curls without breaking chemical bonds, giving it enough body to be styled curly OR straight, with less time and effort.
– Another great product, particularly for fine hair is Shu Uemura’s Satin Design White Tea Polishing Milk, which adds weightless moisture to hair while counteracting humidity and frizz.
Sun Protection Isn’t Just for Your Face
– Sun can be incredibly damaging to your hair because it breaks down keratin, stripping away moisture and leaving hair more brittle and susceptible to breakage.
– Come summertime, don’t leave the house without applying a finishing product that contains sunscreen or UVA/UVB protection filters; reapply throughout the day, as often as you would apply sunscreen to your skin.
– Protect hair/color (and your face) with a hat or a lightweight scarf. For long hair, consider a leave-in conditioner (such as Cezanne’s Leave-in Crème Conditioner) and pulling it back into a chic braid to limit sun exposure.
Restoring Moisture from Root to Tip
– Deep condition the hair with a nourishing mask for about 5 minutes, 2-3 times a week or you could leave on overnight if you need deeper conditioning. If you don’t have a mask and want to go DIY, I personally recommend using coconut oil, which is incredibly moisturizing and smells amazing.
– If you are experiencing split ends, before leaving the shower, keep a small amount of conditioner on hair ends and wrap a towel around. Leave it on untouched to soak for about 10-15 minutes to absorb as much moisture as possible.
Horrendous Humidity: Updos to Beat the Heat
– If all else fails, work with the texture instead of against it. Try a twisted updo that embraces some of the frizz. Spritz hair very generously with a beach or texture spray, such as Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray, to rough up the cuticle and create gritty texture that you can twist into a simple chignon with staying power. For a romantic look; see Kattia’s demo video here.