Ford Fusion Certified As America’s Most Fuel-Efficient Midsize Sedan
- All-new Ford Fusion is America’s most fuel-efficient midsize sedan after being certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to deliver 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway, 47 mpg combined in hybrid model
- Ford Fusion Hybrid beats Toyota Camry Hybrid by 8 mpg highway, 4 mpg city
- New Fusion offers greatest powertrain range of all midsize sedans with five engines, including two EcoBoost® options and hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants for true power of choice
NEW YORK, Sept. 18, 2012 – The all-new Ford Fusion is the most fuel-efficient midsize sedan in America with an EPA-certified 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway and 47 mpg combined fuel economy rating for its hybrid model.
Fusion Hybrid tops the Toyota Camry Hybrid by 8 mpg highway and 4 mpg city, and delivers the highest-ever fuel economy numbers in city and highway driving for a midsize sedan.
“The new Fusion is part of our plan to offer vehicles with the very best quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value,” says Alan Mulally, Ford president and CEO. “We are absolutely committed to class-leading fuel efficiency as a reason to buy Ford vehicles, with customers able to choose the fuel-efficient powertrain that best fits their lifestyle.”
Power of choice: Two EcoBoost engines, one hybrid, one plug-in hybrid
The all-new Fusion brings the widest range of powertrain options to the U.S. midsize segment.
Fusion offers hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants and two fuel-efficient EcoBoost® four-cylinder engines for customers. In addition, Fusion is available with Ford’s patented Auto Start-Stop system, which automatically shuts off the engine at stationary idle to help save customers even more fuel in stop-and-go city driving. Fusion is available in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations with both six-speed automatic and six-speed manual transmissions.
“Ford is bringing power of choice to midsize sedan buyers,” says Mark Fields, president of The Americas. “More than 2 million customers this year will purchase midsize cars. Our new Fusion delivers the fuel savings people truly want and value, with technologies that cost two to three times the price on some German sedans.”
Fuel economy numbers for the remainder of the Fusion lineup are:
- 1.6-liter EcoBoost: 25 mpg city, 37 mpg highway, 29 mpg combined
- 2.0-liter EcoBoost: 22 mpg city, 33 mpg highway, 26 mpg combined
- 2.5-liter: 22 mpg city, 34 mpg highway, 26 mpg combined
- Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid: Projected 100-plus MPGe (miles-per-gallon equivalent)
The Fusion equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine is available with Ford’s patented, fuel-saving Auto Start-Stop system, which smoothly shuts off engine power when the car is stopped and seamlessly restarts as the driver releases the brake pedal. This feature, available for just $295, improves fuel efficiency by 3.5 percent and reduces emissions.
Fusion Hybrid features two additional innovations to help deliver industry-best fuel efficiency: Ford’s patented SmartGauge® with EcoGuide that coaches drivers for top fuel efficiency; and ECO Cruise, a greener cruise control functionality that helps optimize powertrain elements for convenient yet economical highway travel.
Fusion Hybrid achieves a top speed of 62 mph in electric or EV mode and also has Active Grille Shutters, which make the car more aerodynamic at highway speeds to improve fuel efficiency. An underbody with aerodynamically designed panels provides even better fuel efficiency.
World-class craftsmanship, driving dynamics
The full Fusion range delivers visual quality through improved materials, elevated levels of craftsmanship and attention to detail. To deliver its world-class driving dynamics, Ford engineers equipped Fusion with a specially tuned electric power-assisted steering system, MacPherson strut front suspension and all-new multilink rear suspension that is comparable to the setups found in more expensive Audis and BMWs.
“Fusion is a driver’s car,” said Raj Nair, group vice president of Product Development. “We have carefully tuned this car to reward the driving expert and flatter the novice.”
Ford’s quietest midsize sedan ever, Fusion Hybrid models are equipped with Active Noise Cancellation, which uses the audio system to mitigate powertrain noise.
Technology you can use
The all-new Fusion offers an unprecedented portfolio of driver assistance and convenience technologies using sensors, cameras and radar to enable the car to “see” and respond.
Fusion can help drivers maintain proper lane position, adjust vehicle speed to changing traffic conditions, identify suitable parking spaces and practically park itself – it can even aid drivers backing out of a parking space in which visibility is obstructed. Specific technologies include:
- Lane-Keeping System: Using a small, forward-facing camera behind the inside rearview mirror, this system “looks” down the road, monitoring lane lines to determine that the car is on course. The system will alert a driver if drowsiness or erratic lane-keeping is detected. The second element warns a driver with a steering wheel vibration if the Fusion drifts too close to lane markings. Finally, Lane-Keeping Aid will actually apply pressure on the steering to help bring the car back into proper lane position
- Adaptive cruise control: Using forward-looking radar, this system “looks” down the road when activated, slowing the Fusion when slower traffic is detected ahead. The system can help slow the car if the potential of a crash is detected
- Active park assist: Employing sensors, this technology identifies a suitable parallel parking space, calculates the trajectory, and steers the car to properly position it within the spot. Drivers operate accelerator and brake pedals
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert: Sensors in both Fusion rear quarter-panels are able to detect traffic in a driver’s blind spot, providing both audible and visual warnings if traffic is detected. BLIS technology enables cross-traffic alert, warning the driver of oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking space with obstructed views, such as between two large vehicles
The all-new Fusion also offers the newest version of Ford’s award-winning SYNC® communications and entertainment system, which enables voice-activated communication through a driver’s mobile phone and interaction with the car’s audio system.
Fusion is available with the latest version of MyFord Touch®, allowing a driver to interact with vehicle systems through voice control, a touch screen tap or a conventional button.
Both SYNC and MyFord Touch – powered by SYNC – help reduce the potential for driver distraction through voice-controlled functionality, allowing drivers to keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
Fusion equals growth
The midsize car segment is the fastest-growing segment in America this year. Overall U.S. industry sales are up 15 percent in 2012, while midsize car sales have grown 26 percent.
To meet expected demand for the new Fusion, Ford is adding 1,200 hourly jobs and investing $555 million at its Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Flat Rock, Mich.
New Fusion models begin arriving at dealers nationwide this fall.
Press releases, videos, photos and other material related to Ford’s electrified vehicles can be found here.
The story behind the new Fusion
For more on the new Ford Fusion, check out http://FordFusionStory.com, a special mobile site featuring articles, videos and graphics that are easily shareable directly from a smartphone, tablet or computer browser to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and blogs.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 168,000 employees and about 65 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.