This month and all throughout the year, service animals are welcome on all American Airlines flights. There are no additional charges for service animals traveling in the cabin. To travel with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, travelers only need to contact American Reservations at least 48 hours before their flight and submit the required documentation.
For cherished pets who are not registered service animals, these jet-setting dogs and cats* can get a leg up when traveling with American Airlines’ First Class Pet Cabin service exclusively aboard the A321T aircraft for flights from LAX and SFO to JFK.
Paws up for furry flyers, each first class seat on the A321T has a compartment to comfortably accommodate pint-sized pet travelers in their carry-on kennels. First Class passengers en route from Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) to New York (JFK) with four-legged loved ones can treat their pets to roomy accommodations ($125 carry on fee) while keeping them close by.
When purchasing tickets for travel, first class passengers can reserve pet accommodation by providing proper documentation from a veterinarian and meeting the following requirements***:
- Pet is at least 8 weeks old
- Will be fed and offered water within 4 hours before arrival on the airplane
- Is securely and visibly attached to the outside of the kennel and can stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in the kennel (Maximum of 19in x 13in x 9in)
- Has instructions on feeding and watering for a 24-hour period
***American does not accept Brachycephalic cats or snub nose dogs of any “mix”, such as:
- Dogs – Affenpinscher, Boston Terrier, Boxer (all breeds), Brussels Griffon, Bulldog (all breeds), Cane Corso, Dogue De Bordeaux, English Toy Spaniel, Japanese Chin, Lhasa Apso, Mastiff (all breeds), Pekingese, Pit Bull, Presa Canario, Pug (all breeds), Shar Pei, Shih Tzu, Tibetan Spaniel
- Cats – Burmese, Persian, Himalayan, Exotic Shorthair
*American Airlines assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.
Additional services available to all pets and VIP amenities for human travelers using American’s first class service at LAX include:
- Animal relief area at LAX Terminal 4, baggage claim level (the grassy area in front of the parking structure)
- Private (paparazzi protected) Flagship check-in
- Cadillac terminal transportation services
- Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge access at LAX
- Five Star Service assistance at departure and arrival (including expedited TSA check; gate escort; car service)
American Airlines at LAX
American has served Greater Los Angeles for more than 80 years and carried a record 14 million passengers via LAX in 2015. With over 220 daily departures to over 60 global destinations operated by the youngest fleet among global network carriers in the U.S. and unmatched premium services on the ground, American has a rich history as the premier airline at LAX with the most domestic and international destinations.
American recently announced an investment of $3 billion dedicated to enhancing the customer experience. These investments include more fully lie-flat seats; upgraded aircraft interiors; more international Wi-Fi; more in-flight entertainment options and charging power for customers in all cabins; and an improved airport experience with faster, more reliable kiosks and refreshed gate and ticketing areas. This is all in addition to American’s historic fleet. By June 2016, American will have up to 220 flights per day to 70 destinations across five continents.